Houston Work Injury Lawyers Defending Clients’ Rights
Employees depend on their employers for a safe workplace where they can get their job done without fear of injury. When accidents occur because of employer negligence, this can be an extremely stressful situation. The worker may fear bringing a claim against their employer because of possible retribution or other adverse side effects. However, we believe that every negligent employer should be held responsible for injured employees. This is the only way to influence change and prevent further accidents from happening in the future.
Bringing a lawsuit is also essential for the victim and their family. Suffering injuries is bad enough with the pain and emotional distress that come with it. What makes matters worse are the mounting medical bills, along with missed time at work and decreased earning capacity. With a work injury claim, you may be able to offer greater security for yourself and your dependents by recovering lost wages, medical treatment costs, and emotional damage from the accident.
If you need help starting the worker’s compensation claims process in the Houston area, or if you want to file a claim against your employer for your injuries, you need an experienced worker’s compensation attorney like those at The Shariff Law Firm, PLLC. We fight aggressively for injured employees suffering because of their employer’s negligence or wrongdoing. We know Texas law and how to get results for you and your family. Let us fight on your behalf to get worker’s comp coverage and recover the damages you deserve. Contact us today at 713-881-9739!
What Are Some Common Work Injuries in the Houston Area?
Some jobs are more dangerous than others. However, every individual deserves their employer to take every measure possible to prevent accidents resulting in catastrophic injuries. Unfortunately, many companies and managers take safety too lightly, risking the health of their employees. Millions of people file workers comp claims in the United States every year for various injuries.
Some of the most common injuries workers experience on the job include:
- Loss of limbs – Losing a limb can be devastating for any individual, especially those whose work requires physical movement and dexterity. These accidents occur at construction sites, traffic accidents, or production facilities. Limb loss may result in lifetime worker’s compensation benefits.
- Repetitive stress injury – While these injuries may seem less severe, repetitive stress injuries like carpal tunnel can be debilitating. Overusing one’s hands and arms can lead to crippling pain and loss of sensation, preventing the person from caring for themselves and requiring expensive, painful surgery.
- Spinal cord injury – When someone suffers a workplace accident, they may easily damage the nerves and bones in the spine. This can cause terrible pain that lasts for months or even years. Many spinal cord injuries will only heal with surgery, which can be costly and require a long recovery.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – TBIs can be some of the most catastrophic injuries because of how vital the human brain is for everyday functioning. Concussions and contusions in the brain can lead to lifelong disability, mental illness, and even death. These injuries can undoubtedly lead to compensation in a worker’s injury case.
- Bone fractures – Broken bones can result from many scenarios, including construction site accidents or slipping and falling in a messy office hallway. Even simple fractures of the digits, such as fingers and toes, can be painful and expensive, taking several weeks to heal. The individual may have to miss work, causing expenses to pile up while they are losing income at the same time.
No matter your injury, please don’t settle for any amount from your employer’s insurance company without first speaking with a trusted legal representative. Insurance companies seek their own benefits first rather than looking out for the victim’s best interest. A skilled workers’ compensation lawyer like those at The Shariff Law Firm, PLLC, can help you interact with insurance agents to prevent you from making agreements that would get you less money than you deserve. Call us today to schedule a free consultation!
What Causes Texas Workplace Injuries?
The type of injury may affect whether or not workers comp benefits are approved. It is essential to have an experienced workers comp attorney review your case to help gather evidence of your injuries so you receive the benefits you deserve.
Some common Texas workplace injuries are:
- Falls from scaffolding or other construction equipment
- Falls from heights
- Burn injuries from a fire or explosion
- Chemical exposure, such as contact with a toxic substance
- Being caught in between two objects, such as workers who are in trenches or deep holes
- Being struck by an object, such as a truck or other piece of equipment
- Being struck by a falling object, such as tools or materials that fall from heights
- Forklift accidents
- Hearing damage from exposure to loud noises
- Machinery malfunction
- Crane collapses
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Repetitive movement injuries
- Maritime injuries, both onshore and offshore
- Slip and fall accidents
- Occupational disease, including carpal tunnel syndrome, lung disease, and skin disease
How is Fault Determined in a Work Injury Claim?
In Texas, employers are not required to subscribe to the state’s workers comp insurance program. This means that you may not be eligible for worker’s compensation benefits. However, you still have rights and may be able to receive compensation for your injuries.
If you have been injured on a work site and are unsure if your employer offers worker’s compensation, you should speak with one of our talented personal injury attorneys immediately. We can help determine who is at fault by investigating the details of your accident. For a successful lawsuit, we must prove that your employer knew or should have known about the dangerous conditions and that they failed to act in a reasonable manner to prevent the accident.
It is also important to note that if you are an independent contractor, the company does not owe such a high duty of care to your safety as it does to employees. However, you may still sue for damages in cases where the employer did not exercise reasonable care in avoiding foreseeable harm.
For help determining who is at fault in your workplace injury case, please contact a skilled worker’s compensation lawyer like those at The Shariff Law Firm, PLLC.
What Damages May I Receive in a Successful Work Injury Claim?
Getting hurt at work can be devastating and is even more catastrophic when a loved one tragically dies in a work-related injury. Injured workers and their family members may be able to seek additional compensation if death benefits are claimed as part of the lawsuit. To receive death benefits, you should contact a workers comp lawyer immediately. They will be your best source of help in seeking a fair settlement from insurance companies, and they can represent you in court if you decide to sue for further damages.
Some examples of items that may be covered in work injuries in Texas are:
- Medical benefits, including doctor’s visits, hospitalization, medications, specialist visits, ambulance costs, physical therapy, and more
- Wage replacement benefits, such as compensation for lost wages, salaries, bonuses, and vacation time
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of enjoyment of life
For the best chance of maximizing your compensation under your insurance plan’s medical coverage, please speak with a trusted legal representative immediately.
What Can a Work Injury Lawyer Do for Me?
When fighting for your rights in the case of a workplace injury, it is not wise to go it alone. You need excellent counsel and legal representation from knowledgeable attorneys who understand Texas law and will fight aggressively for your best interest. The sad truth is that most insurance agents are only looking out for the interest of the company rather than the injured victim. A skilled lawyer can thwart the tactics of experienced insurance agents looking for any excuse to minimize or deny your claim.
You should also hire a lawyer, so you know your legal rights are being defended. Work injury cases are highly complex because of the nuances involved in working with a company and the injured employee. You may feel afraid to take on your employer because of potential retribution. Your attorney can help ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the total damages you are owed.
Some individuals worry about getting benefits under workers comp because they have pre-existing conditions. Indeed, pre-existing conditions are not covered in most worker’s comp cases. However, hiring an experienced lawyer can help you get compensation even though you have a pre-existing condition. We can help you with the appeals process if your claim is denied, getting a more positive outcome from the worker’s compensation board.
With your loved ones depending on you for support, you have too much to risk going it alone regarding your work-related injury. Contact The Shariff Law Firm, PLLC, today to proceed confidently in getting the benefits you deserve in your worker’s comp claim.
Should You Hire Our Personal Injury Attorneys?
When you or a loved one suffers an accident at work, you may wonder how to file a claim and hold the negligent employer responsible. This is a challenging time because you may be going through extreme pain in recovering from the injury or mourning the loss of your family member. You are probably worried about covering the mounting medical expenses while dealing with the lost income from the injury. You need a trusted legal professional to offer counsel and representation at this difficult time. You need The Shariff Law Firm, PLLC.
Our talented legal team has helped countless individuals and families recover the damages they deserve following a workplace injury. We understand the challenges that come with catastrophic injuries, including wrongful death cases. We will listen compassionately to your story and investigate every detail to reveal the truth about what really happened during the accident. We promise to work tirelessly to get you the benefits you and your loved ones deserve.
Don’t suffer needlessly. Let our skilled and competent attorneys fight for your rights. Contact us today at 713-881-9739 for a free consultation to see how we can help with your work injury case.